We don’t just provide custom wheelchair seating systems; we provide comfort.
The UDS Custom Wheelchair Seating Program is accredited by the Healthcare Quality Association on Accreditation (HQAA). This accreditation confirms our dedication to positive outcomes for our participants and stakeholders through the development and commitment to higher quality and standards.
Our experienced and skilled technicians and Assistive Technology Professionals (ATP) make us the leading seating and mobility resource for therapists, individuals, families, and caregivers in Eastern and Central Pennsylvania.
Our custom wheelchair seating process molds wheelchair seating to exact curvature of the spine, providing many health and functional benefits. These include decreasing the risk of pressure sores, and enabling proper breathing and swallowing by helping you maintain an upright posture.
Creating a custom wheelchair seating system for your unique physical needs includes the integration of many components. These include:
- Molded Orthotic Seats and Backs
- Shoulder Harnesses
- Padded Hip Belts
- Foot Boxes
- Adjustable Head Supports
- Trunk Supports
- Elbow Blocks
Our Custom Wheelchair Seating team can work with any local home medical provider. However, getting your chair from UDS means easier scheduling, simplified billing procedures, and more efficient communication.
Custom Molded Wheelchair Seating Process
- Professional Evaluation. The first step is evaluation and measurement at a residential facility, school, hospital, therapy center, or our Lancaster facility. Working closely with the therapist, family, caregiver, and custom wheelchair frame vendor, we measure, design, and specify all necessary components. Our team performs a comprehensive assessment of the person’s physical needs, including medical history, range of motion, anatomical measurements, and orthopedic concerns.
- Gaining Insurance Approval. The therapist then writes a detailed “Letter of Medical Necessity” to justify each specified component to the insurance carrier. Once prior authorization is obtained from the insurance carrier, fabrication begins.
- Fit and Fabrication. We position the client on a specially-designed bean bag-like device that precisely contours to the shape of their body. Accurate molds of the seat and back are created by applying a vacuum. A 3D computerized image is then used to carve the seat and back to the exact size and shape of the individual. We can even create a custom carved seat out of multiple layers of high-density foam. A variety of seat coverings are available to meet specific requirements.
- Delivery and Final Fitting. At the time of delivery, we conduct a final fitting at the individual’s location or our Lancaster facility. At that point, we make any necessary adjustments to ensure optimal comfort and utility. The result is an effective, custom seating system that addresses the client’s unique medical, positioning, and comfort needs.
Frequently Asked Questions About Our Custom Wheelchair Seating
Our skilled Assistive Technology Professionals can access your needs and provide options for seating on your current wheelchair.
Yes. A variety of seat coverings are available to meet your specific needs.