CAPABLE is a tested program developed by Johns Hopkins School of Nursing more than 15 years ago and is being disseminated nationally. It is brought to you and your community by UDS.
What is CAPABLE?
- CAPABLE is a client-directed home-based program designed to increase mobility, functionality, and capacity to allow older adults to age in their home and community.
- Through six visits from an Occupational Therapist and four visits from a Registered Nurse within 4-6 months, the older person sets goals and takes action.
- A handyperson follows a specific work order created collaboratively by participant and the occupational therapist to make minor modifications. Additional supplies or equipment help improve daily function.
- Eligible older adults live in the community, are 60+ and do not have a memory disorder or cognitive limitation. (See additional criteria below.)
Individuals who would benefit from CAPABLE are people who…
- have experienced a health decline
- have decreased independence with ADLs
- would benefit from additional equipment at home
- are in need of minor home maintenance and repairs
- are living in the community with limited/no caregiver support
- Older adults (60+) living in the community
- Difficulty with at least one ADL (bathing, dressing, getting in/out of bed/chairs, eating, using the toilet, grooming, walking across a small room); or two IADLs (preparing meals, doing housework/cleaning, shopping for personal items, using the telephone, washing clothes/doing laundry, paying bills and managing finances, traveling by themselves outside of the home, taking medications)
- No plans to move in the next year
- Not actively receiving care for advanced disease (i.e., chemo, radiation, etc.)
- Able to participate in a four month program
- Less than four hospitalizations in one year
- Live in Lancaster, Lebanon, Berks or York counties (PA)
- Not currently receiving in-home therapy or nursing care
- Participant is ready to make a change
Make A Referral
Providers who would like to make a referral to the CAPABLE program, please complete the entire form below.