Accessible Bedroom Modification
The ability to create home modifications for people with disabilities to meet a person’s special needs can be life changing. Many individuals feel they may need to move to a new home as they age or specific conditions worsen and mobility becomes more limited, but that is not always the case. Home modifications performed by someone with a specific knowledge of accommodations for individuals with disabilities can provide a more comfortable and functional environment without the need to relocate.
As with other areas of a home modification, a thoughtfully designed bedroom environment can provide adjustments that support individuals wanting to age in place or for people with disabilities. Types of accommodations, considered by American Disabilities Act (ADA) as home ‘modifications’, can include remodeling, restructuring or rearrangements of walls, expanding of door frames, or adjusting heights of partitions to make a person’s bedroom more readily accessible.
UDS provides modifications that create accessible bedroom spaces and utilitarian designs for people with disabilities or the elderly. Whether it be reframing door entrance ways, wood floor placement, lowering closet rods or having access to shelving or storage to accommodate wheelchair use, UDS offers bedroom modifications that include:
- Built-in beds that allow extra stability and support at the appropriate height for getting in and out of;
- Direct bathroom access for convenience and quick entrance. In addition, the doors can be widened and replaced with alternatives such as pocket doors or door knobs with lever handles;
- Wheelchair storage to open up additional floor space when not in use;
- Built-in cabinets to organize and store personal belongings. Built-in cabinets also increases the amount of floor space as compared to having a physical piece of furniture creating a potential obstacle;
- Bedside controls that allow turning on and off electronic equipment and lights easily;
- Easy access closets that are at an appropriate height level to retrieve stored items;
- Reinforced ceilings for lifting equipment.
Which Bedroom Modifications Best Fits Your Needs?
Everyone has unique needs as to what would work best for their situation or disability. In addition, the layout and construction of each person’s bedroom is different. Having an expert eye can help you design and create a bedroom modification that helps you optimize the accessibility and ease of your living space. At UDS we proudly offer a resource center that you can reach out to for any questions. We will advise you and provide you with the information to help design and make an accessible bedroom that matches your unique needs and circumstances without a cookie-cutter approach. With a full team of experts in many types of modifications, you can be sure that there is someone who can design what is best for you and your specific situation.
UDS – For Independent Living Services and Personal Care Services
By contacting UDS we can work with you to create a safe home modification environment, including an accessible bedroom. Our experts will assess your needs, do a home evaluation, obtain cost estimates, and supervise every aspect of accessible home modifications for people with disabilities. Our goal is to provide what you need to make your home more ADA accessible.
UDS services counties surrounding the Lancaster Area in Pennsylvania. A full map of the counties can be found here.